It's All I Got

Here's the thing, two things happened yesterday for me. One good, one amazingly awful. It's hard to know how to consider my joy in the face of such evil. Like so many of you I was stunned when I heard the news and then watched the terrible images of bombs, bombs! exploding in Boston at what is supposed to be a joyful, amazing experience for the runners and the watchers. Good became shrouded by evil. And I hate it. I cried. My heart ached and still does. My first thought was Psalm 46:
"God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
 though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging."

I was also reminded of something Fred Rogers, that's right, Mr. Rogers said. "Look for the helpers." That's what his mother told him when he saw scary things on TV. "Look for the helpers."
Thank you God, for helpers.

About an hour after the news first hit I received more news. Good news. Cake, has been shortlisted, for an Inspy Award. That's good news. But it feels hollow, almost shameful to take joy in that. But you know what? I will take joy in this because if I don't then evil wins. Like those who run, I too will press on toward the mark, to the finish line and take joy when it appears along the route and cry with those who cry along the way. I'm not sure this makes much sense but it's all I got.
This and my heart besides.

2 comments:

Pam Halter said...

Yes, take joy, dear friend. Nothing wrong with finding joy in the midst of pain.

Marti Pieper said...

I agree with Pammy.

And I think you need a cake.

I'll make one for you in October!