Celebrate National Library Week


When I was a girl, the library was housed in the old farm house
Here’s the thing, it is National Library Week. Please visit your local library. I’m sure they have many events scheduled to celebrate. I have the honor of participating in two events to help celebrate libraries in my community. I love libraries. Don’t you? Do you have a favorite library? When I was a girl I could usually be found crawling the stacks of the Seller’s Memorial Library in Upper Darby. It truly was a haven, a safe place for me. A place of wonder and delight and discovery. It is where I discovered Ray Bradbury, Sherlock Holmes, Harriet the Spy, Virginia Woolf, Mark Twain, Robert Heinlein, Tolkien, Hemingway, E.B. White, etc. etc. etc.  I remember sitting in the window seat with a book in hand and staring out at a rainy day thinking about what it would be like to have a book I had written in the public library. It seemed so far away but a dream I refused to give up on. I dreamt about returning to the library one day and reading from my book. Gee, it’s a dream come true. I am often astonished at this.  I thought having a book in the library would be the greatest of all delights. And it is truly. Truly a delight. But something happened the other day that is even better. I was in the Youth Room of a local library and I saw a kid pick up a copy of Cake. She kind of looked through it and then sat at a table and started to read it. My heart, needless to say, sped up just a bit as I watched her turn the pages. A few minutes later she brought the book to the counter and checked it out. Now that’s the stuff dreams are made of.

No comments: