Twitterpated


Here’s the thing, last Friday I hosted my first ever Twitter party. For those of you who might not know about this phenomenon it is basically an opportunity to field questions from readers and others via Twitter. It’s really quite ingenious. I really do love Twitter. There is just something so challenging about getting a lot of info into a little space. A good lesson for any writer. Write tight. But I also learned some things at this Twitter party or Twitter Q&A I thought I would share with you.
I learned:
I’m still pretty nervous when it comes to things like this and I wish I was a little more prepared. I should have thought about it more and thought of some of the questions that were asked so I had ready-to-go snappy, tight answers. I stumbled over what to say at times because there was just so much I wanted to say in my answer but didn’t have the room. I will learn to say what I mean in 140 characters or less. That’s a good thing.

I’m not as nervous as I once was. A few years ago I would have done practically anything to get out of it. Or I would have had to call a friend to sit with me while I Tweeted. But no more. I think this is because I am much more confident in myself as a writer and with what I write. That’s a good thing.

The world is getting smaller and smaller. Technology is making us small. I know that my fan and probably one of biggest fans, Chris was lurking all the way from the UK. Wow, that’s pretty cool. Readers are brought very close to authors so I better shape up and be prepared. Gone, I think, are the days when being the hermit, recluse author was cool, fashionable, possible. Is THIS a good thing?

I have great readers and tremendous support from the other professionals in my life and my little writing circle. And that, my friends is a very good thing.

1 comment:

Pam Halter said...

It was my first time on Twitter! But I thought it went well. Looking foward to doing it again.