Ch-Ch-Changes


Here’s the thing, I’ve been thinking about lately, nothing stays anymore. Particularly where technology is concerned. I’m finding this very unnerving. I upgraded my iPhone in August and now I want the new iPhone 4S. It’s been three months. Three months! I’m sick of it. If you buy a new car it’s depreciated before you drive it off the lot. Purchase a new computer? It’s old the next day. It’s true with everything from coffee makers to cameras to the food we eat. They (whoever they are) are constantly fiddling with our stuff. How can we make it better, sweeter, less caloric, less fat, faster, more innovative? Can we add a DVD or better yet, Blue-Ray to it? How many pixels is your camera phone? Oh, too bad, that’s a lot of mega pixels but they just came out with a camera with a bazillion more pixels. I mean really, someone needs to slow down. Books? Who needs paper when you can give the world yet another screen. How many screens do you have in your house? Go on, count them. I currently have six screens and I don’t mean window. Six screens from which to participate with the world, to do life. I love technology, don’t get me wrong. That’s part of the issue. I want every new gadget that comes along. I can’t afford it but I still want it. Yet I’m worried. I can foresee a day when our gadgets are simply part of us, connected, wired. That scares me. But I really wish I could have a gadget for longer than twenty minutes before it’s obsolete.
I worry about young people and the effect this might have on them. I didn’t grow up in a world where everything I purchased became useless the next day. I could believe in my stuff, hang on to my stuff for so much longer. But now a days every time I turn around something is new again. How can anyone believe in a world that in constantly in flux?
Thankfully God is not in flux. He never changes. We don’t worship God 2.0. We don’t need a screen to be friends with him. His truths remain the same, except, “Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.”
Uhm, I suppose even God’s compassions have to be new every morning. His children keep changing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so true. There is only a God 1.0 !

I don't own an iPhone and have until now refused to buy one. Without a doubt the 4s will be obsolete by Christmas 2011.

I did read Charlotte Figg Takes Over Paradise on a TouchPad that had a Kindle app on it. First book I've read from start to finish in a long time. Hope you write another story about Charlotte!

Lisa in Seattle

Pam Halter said...

I just sent this verse to Mary in a card. Yep, God never changes. I'm so glad.

Phones are entirely another matter. I had to get a new cell phone and only wanted the same one I've had for years. They don't make it anymore, so I had to get one with a touch screen, which I totally hate. SIGH. You know me - not that tech savvy. I have enough to do with my days then to add learning a new cell phone.