An Ode to Pollen


Here's the thing, since it is still April and therefore still National Poetry Month I wrote a poem which I dedicate to all my fellow allergy sufferers. I sincerely apologize to Elizabeth Barrett Browning.


Ode to Pollen

Oh, pollen, oh pollen
How do I loathe thee?
I loathe thee to the depth and breadth and snot
My nose can make when feeling
Out of sorts with itchy throat
And itchy skin
And watery eyes to boot.

Oh pollen, oh pollen
How do I loathe thee?
You make me sneeze and cough
And clear my throat
And scratch my eyes incessantly.

I loathe the way you turn
My car, a most disgusting yellow
And float around on wind and air
And settle on the ground
And make me sneeze and sneeze and sneeze
And sneeze and sneeze some more.

Oh pollen, oh pollen
How do I loathe thee?
‘Tis every spring I dread your
Very presence and wish, oh wish
I were a fish
And lived down in the ocean.
Where no pollen can attack
And no degree of wind
Can carry you upon it’s back
And make me swell with hives.

Oh Pollen, Oh pollen
How do I loathe thee?
I loathe thee more than
Mayonnaise and ants upon my feet.

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Here, here! What a fun poem for spring!!

Pam Halter said...

Dang, girl ... more than mayo???? That's bad.

Good poem, though. ;)