An Adventure and You're all Invited.


Here’s the thing, I am writing a new book—brand new. Abingdon does have six more Bright’s Pond Books in the pipeline (this does of course = Woo Hoo!) but I am also getting ready to sign a deal with Zondervan to write Harriet Beamer Takes the Bus. (Again, this = Woo Hoo!) This is a story about a middle-aged woman taking a rather unconventional road trip across the country. Yep, another post-menopausal woman making a break, trying life out in all its glory, finally finding herself after years of marriage and children and periods and church rummage sales. Harriet is going to California to live with her son and daughter-in-law. Harriet calls her Miss Fancy Pants. So that gives you a clue. But there’s a twist and this is where all of you come in, if you’re up for it. I have a deal to make. In the next day or so I am going to publish a list of cities and towns where Harriet will be making stops and since I am not rich and can’t possibly travel to all these places between Havertown, PA and Grass Valley, California I need some help. If you happen to live in or near one of these cities and would like to be part of the journey here’s the thing—please send me postcards and bus schedules, yeah, bus schedules. I’ll explain later. Postcards of pretty much anything will do, landmarks, gardens, buildings, cityscapes etc. And if you’re willing any other info, brochures etc. would be most welcome. And in return I will send you a signed copy of Harriet Beamer Takes the Bus—fresh off the presses. And maybe a couple of other as yet to be decided goodies I’m dreaming about. Oh, you could even send pix of yourself, your dog or cat or kids, your neighborhood, pretty much anything that will help me soak up the local color. Remember the I Love Lucy episode when she visited the winery and stomped grapes. Hysterical. Well, I can’t visit the farms and small towns and festivals Harriet will. So, email me, let me know what you think and if you’re game, I will send you my physical addy, unless of course you know a way to send me stuff in digital format. I’m open. I will be adding to this list and making changes as necessary. Thanks for your help. Oh, one more thing, there's a dog--HUmphrey the Basset Hound who will be telling his side of things in future blog posts entitled Letters From Humphrey. He misses Harriet. She had to send him ahead to live with Henry and Miss Fancy Pants. He's not happy.
Be in touch!

For now here is a partial list of cities and towns:

Lancaster, PA
York, PA

Perryville, Maryland
Elkton, Maryland
Aberdeen, Maryland
Baltimore, MD

Charlottesville, VA
Monticello, VA (Thomas Jefferson house)
Roanoke, VA

Knoxville, TN
Nashville, TN
Gatlinburg, TN
Pigeon Fork, TN

The states Harriet will be adventuring through are:
Pennsylvania
Maryland
Virginia
Tennessee
Mississippi
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Texas
New Mexico
Arizona

6 comments:

Pam Halter said...

I got you some brochures for the Williamsburg area, and I believe Thomas Jefferson's house is among them. :)

Marti Pieper said...

I want to read it. NOW.

My husband's first pastor was in an amazing little town in New Mexico (think adobe parsonage) that needs to be in a novel someday. I always thought it'd be mine but I might be willing to share.

You know I'm praying.

THE OLD GEEZER said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You :-)

~Ron

sherry3995 said...

Joyce, I am so excited to hear about the upcoming books. I can so relate to the "menopausal" woman. As for a place for her to go is Fremont, CA. Home to historic Niles and Essany (silent films w/ Charlie Chaplin) Studios. I could email you some info regarding our history. Fremont is close to everything, from the mountains to the big city. Look forward to reading all about the adventures.

Joyce Magnin said...

Sherry, what fun! Yep email me. I'd love for you to send me some stuff. Thanks!

Jessa Irene (Holiday-Haven) said...

Wow, I don't live near any of them, but it sounds like an amazing trip! Following your blog.