The Top Five Reasons to Attend a Writing Intensive


Here's the thing, this is such an incredible opportunity for anyone who wants to write a novel. A couple of years ago I would have driven three hours or more t attend. It's not often that a new writer or even a seasoned author gets to spend the entire day with an actively acquiring editor. And believe me, it doesn't get better than Barbara Scott. So here is a re-post of her post about why you should attend this workshop. If you live anywhere near the Philadelphia area you need to come--Lancaster, Baltimore even, Bucks County, Montgomery County, Susquehanna, etc. This opportunity will not come to the area for a while. Don't miss it. Barbara really has a heart for new writers and finding fresh voices. She found mine and it's been a great ride, great friendship.
Her Post:

A sign used to hang in my mother-in-law Betty's kitchen that read, "Life is short. Eat dessert first." The older I grow, the more I understand this axiom. Rather than worrying about things that might never happen and wasting our lives cleaning the refrigerator more than once a year, we should spend more of our time living our lives for God.

Has God called you to be a writer? What are you doing about it? Do you attend a conference once a year, get fired up, and then put writing at the bottom of your "to do" list when you arrive back home? If writing is God's calling, shouldn't it be near the top of your list of priorities? To help you in your quest, here are my top 5 reasons to attend a day-long writing intensive workshop with me:

1) You deserve to spend time working on your craft with people who share your passion and can help you grow as a writer.

2) As an editor, I can rend the veil between writing as a hobby and succeeding in the Christian publishing business. It's a chance to ask me every question that's ever plagued you about how to break in.

3) We'll spend time working on your individual project so that you have a solid writing plan when you leave.

4) I'll teach you what kills an editor's interest in the first paragraph of your sample chapters, and how to write a proposal that sparks my interest.

5) I'll help you discover your unique voice, refresh your knowledge of the basics of fiction writing, teach you how to self-edit your work, and hopefully, make writing fun again for you.

Sound like a plan? Then join me at my first day-long writing intensive workshop from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, August 21, at the Springton Lake Presbyterian Church in Newtown Square, PA (near Philadelphia). Award-winning Abingdon debut author Joyce Magnin will be in attendance to tell how she caught my attention, and how her book The Prayers of Agnes Sparrow was named as one of the top 5 Christian books of 2009 by Library Journal. Cost is $159 for the intensive workshop and includes a light lunch. Dress is casual. To register, please contact Joyce at jmagnin56@gmail.com.

SPECIAL OFFER: Because I want every writer in the greater Philadelphia area to have a chance to attend, I'm giving away one free registration to the writing intensive workshop. Just tell me in 100 words or less why you want to attend this event and how the free registration would make that possible. Send your entries to nashvillescotts@comcast.net by midnight CST Sunday, August 1. (Abingdon authors may attend my workshops free of charge at any time, so they are not eligible to win the free registration.)

If you are interested in setting up one of my day-long workshops in your area, please contact me at the email address above.

1 comment:

Online Event Management said...

your blog is very informative, thanks for the information and keep it up.