We are not elves!


Here's the thing, I'm supposed to be leaving for my publisher's sales conference this afternoon. When I told my daughter the first thing she said was, "what are you going to wear, Mom?" um, that was a good question because we writers pretty much get to work in our jammies or sweats and no one knows and no one cares. But occasionally we are lured out of our dens to attend some kind of public function. Which I enjoy. I love meeting people. I think it's the only way readers know that writers are real and not Elves living in a shoe, tapping out stories under the light of the mysterious Moonberry plant.
So I went shopping. I bought real clothes and even a pair of real shoes which I wore to church yesterday and I got to say, my feet were not happy. They like being inside my Chucks, of which I own several pair in many colors. Joseph had his coat, I have my Chucks. But in the interest of what is, apparently, proper I bought some new stuff, pretty stuff, casual but nice clothes to wear on my trip that will hopefully take me from my writerly frumpiness to fashionista—no not really. I don’t think I ever want to be called a fashionista. It makes me think of women in gray business suits goose-stepping in strappy sandals down the street. Not for me.
But doing this has raised a serious question for me. What's my style? I think as a writer I would like to have a style, something fun and quirky like my books yet not clownish. I'm thinking about a tattoo. Writers should have a style don't you think? I'll let you know as soon as I figure it out.

5 comments:

Pam Halter said...

Mine is easy ... fairy T-shirts!

Phoebe said...

Ah, but you already have style--your chucks! They set you apart as "hip" with us kids. I've never seen an adult rock them as well as you haha

Hope your trip is a good one!

Diana said...

LOL Joyce- I want my son to nominate me for the What Not to Wear Show so I can revamp my wardrobe. I did finally settle on a style- Bohmo chic.
Yep that's me- now where do I find the stuff? I already shop at goodwill. Any other suggestions?
By the way you make a nice Daffodil

Rita Gerlach said...

I bet it was a blast spending time with Barbara and the Abingdon staff. Barbara's photo is awesome. She looks so lovely.

Richard Mabry said...

Joyce, Thanks for sharing your experience. Wish I could have been there. I've seen the lobby of the building, but for some reason, Barbara rushed Kay and me out of there and off to lunch before anyone could see us. (Just kidding.)

Looking forward to your next book and even more to come from fellow Abingdonian and the Queen of Quirk.