Meet Sandie Bricker!

Welcome to my blog, Sandie Bricker. First of all, congrats on the new release!
Thank you so much for having me, Joycie. I’m excited to be here!

Tell us a little about your latest release and maybe a smidge about the upcoming release.Sure! I’ll give you a couple of back cover blurbs.

The Big 5-OH! hit the shelves on February 1st: Olivia Wallace can’t remember a birthday that wasn’t marked by illness, tragedy or both. And now, as she emerges victorious over cancer and approaches The Big 5-Oh, she is determined to change her course. Better late than never, right? That’s what Liv believes when she leaves a snowy Ohio winter behind and runs away to Florida to regroup. Amidst a crazy cast of characters that include a dog with a lampshade collar, a rogue alligator and a flirtatious octogenarian, Liv finds the biggest birthday surprise of all … A second chance at love.
Next up, Always the Baker, Never the Bride, due out this fall: They say you can’t have your cake and eat it too. But who would want a cake they couldn’t eat? Just ask Emma Rae Travis about that. A baker of confections who is diabetic and can’t enjoy them? When Emma meets Jackson Drake, the escapee from Corporate America who is starting a wedding destination hotel to fulfill a dream that belonged to someone else, this twosome and their crazy family ties bring new meaning to the term Family Circus. The Atlanta social scene will never be the same!

You are no stranger to publishing but is there anything special about being part of two brand new fiction lines?Well, the MOST special thing is that I’ve wanted to write for the inspirational market for years, and I just couldn’t seem to find the right fit. Then my friends at Summerside Press pushed open the door to let me in, and Barbara Scott at Abingdon jammed her foot in there to keep it open! I’m so honored to be part of these two publishing families, both of whom have shown integrity and commitment to their lines and to their authors. I haven’t experienced anything else, but I know a lot of writers! And it seems I’ve stepped into something really unusual.

Share with us about your writing process. Seat of pants? Plotter? Combo pac?I am a complete seat-of-my-pants, pay-as-you-go kind of writer. I’m as surprised at my twists and turns as the readers are, which is why I like to do it that way. Ultimately, my goal is to please my reader. I want them to come away from my books saying there were some surprises, some unexpected emotions, maybe even a lesson learned … and the only way to do that (for me) is to stay fresh and experience the ride along with them.

Is there a character in one of your novels that you love the best?
That would be really hard to pinpoint. There’s a little piece of me in every one of the heroines. But I suppose my heart belongs to Olivia in 5-OH! because she was my voice for post-cancer life. She and I shared a battle against ovarian cancer and lived to tell about it. I remember that feeling when they told me I was cancer-free, and I sat there wondering, Hmph. What now?! Olivia takes that emotion and rides it all the way to her new life. It was very satisfying for me. Almost like therapy. 

What/Who inspires you?I assume you mean in my writing? Well … LIFE inspires me. Every person I meet, every snag in the day job, every movie I see, every book I read, every funny thing my dog does. If cancer teaches you anything, it is that life is precious, and laughter (especially in the tough times) is priceless. I take my humor very seriously, Joyce! I try to live by that scripture that says a merry heart is like medicine, and I want to be a sort of doctor with a prescription pad for each of my readers. I tend to see the funny in everything. Even at the most inappropriate times, I’m sorry to report.

Pizza topping?I like the works. Pepperoni. Mushroom. Black olives. Onions. If I’m going to indulge, I’m going all the way!

A favorite movie?Narrowing it down to one is like choosing one cookie from a whole bakery filled with them! I’m a sucker for a happy ending, and for just about anything Nora Ephron, Rob Reiner or Garry Marshall does. You’ve Got Mail … When Harry Met Sally … Pretty Woman … Sleepless in Seattle … American President … Classics!

Favorite pie?
Pumpkin! Hands down. There is no rival.

Classical? Rock? Jazz?
I love it all. I’m a big fan of Chopin and Vivaldi, love me some classic rock, pop, jazz, country … Michael Buble makes me absolutely swoon, and I play Van Morrison, The Doors, Sheryl Crow, Bon Jovi. I also love to sing along with some of the Christian artists, like Brandon Heath, Casting Crowns and Big Daddy Weave. You name it. Music is imperative in my life. For every book I write, there is a “soundtrack” that I play to inspire me as I go. And I’ve found that every important event in my life has a song or a CD attached to it as well.

Okay, so you’re stranded on an island. What would you miss most about civilization?
ICE. I can’t live without ice. And of course there’s a lot of benefit to central air and a good mattress. I know guys are drawn to women who like to camp and hike and gather. But I’d much rather spend my time in a 5-star hotel watching pay-per-view movies and munching on room service snacks. And you know they bring you as much ice as you could possibly want! You can’t ignore the beauty in that.

BIO: Sandra D. Bricker (link to http://sandradbricker.blogspot.com) has been publishing in both the Christian and general market for years with novels for women and teens, magazine articles and short stories. With 11 novels in print and 4 more slated for publication, Sandie has carved out a niche for herself as an author of laugh-out-loud comedy for the inspirational market. Sandie was an entertainment publicist in Hollywood for 15+ years for some of daytime television’s hottest stars. When her mother became ill in Florida, she left Los Angeles to provide care … and begin her writing career!
Web site: www.SandraDBricker.com

1 comment:

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Two of my funniest people in the same spot! Outstanding! You ladies both rock, and this is a great interview!