Joyce to the World


Here's the thing, names have always interested me. Funny how so many of us grow up to match our names. Sometimes I think the name a child is given at birth is a kind of prophecy. Hey, it was good enough for all those Bible people. Maybe that's where the fascination started. I remember hearing a preacher or teacher tell me what a biblical hero's name meant and it kind of wowed me. God is so cool like that. Which brings me to my parent's totally uncool naming of me. Joyce. Yikes. I hated the name growing up. There were NO other Joyce's in the neighborhood or in school, seriously, all twelve years I knew only one other Joyce. And she interestingly enough had my sister Elaine's name for a middle name. Uhm. My name apparently means Joyful. Uh, not so much. I mean I like joy but I would never say I was really a joyful person. It wasn't until I was an adult, maybe even married with a kid before I finally decided that I like my name. It fits me I suppose. Most people call me Joycie. It used to bother me. But now I like it. It's fine with me. I think it fits with my author-like style, you know. Kind of quirky. Yep, I have a quirky name. Did you know that Joyce was many years ago actually a man's name—Joyce Kilmer, the poet to name one. He's famous for saying, "Only God can make a tree." Yeah well. Anyhoo. There are other famous Joyce people, Like Joyce Randolph of the Honeymooners, Joyce Meyer, my favorite TV Preacher, Joyce Carol Oates. Let's see, who else? Do you know any famous Joyce's? What about other authors named Joyce, first name, not last name like James Joyce. Do you like your name?

3 comments:

Pam Halter said...

I used to hate my name, but I've grown to like it. And I was never called "pammy" until I met my husband in 1988. After that, you and the Writeens call me, "pammy" and I like it a lot!

My name (Pamela) means "love" and I was born on Valentine's Day, which I think is pretty cool. :)

Susan Skitt said...

I think your name fits you well - you bring joy to many Joyce, especially with your gift of writing!

Hmm... my name Susan means Lily, it's Hebrew. I guess I could do worse, right? When I was nine years old I wished my name was Cyrstal. Now I'm glad I'm Susan, nothing against Crystal, but Susan is a nice, plain author type name that flows when writing the letter "S".

BTW - I'm having a book giveaway contest on my blog. One winner will be picked on Feb. 14th. Stop on by!!! All are welcome!

Caroline said...

And add me to the list of definitely not liking my name as a young person. I mean, who wants the name Carole, even if it does mean joy? :)

Finally grew up, I think . . .