You Can't Tuna Fish


Here's the thing, in my opinion, no fish, no matter how big is worth $177,000. Yet this is what two restaurant owners in Japan just paid for a gargantuan, five-hundred plus pound tuna fish, a blue fin to be exact. They plan to make it into Sushi. Uhm, how much Sushi can you get from a 500 pound tuna? I don’t know, but I venture to say more than $177,000 worth. That's a lot of raw fish my friends. Personally, I never eat Sushi, don’t know why, it's nothing personal, I just don’t like the idea of it, I suppose. And wouldn't this daddy of all tunas have to be prepared, purchased and consumed rather quickly? I mean five hundred pounds of fish. It reminds me of that I Love Lucy Show when Lucy bought the walk-in freezer and then promptly purchased a side of beef, not knowing exactly how much meat was in a side of beef. It made me laugh. Especially when she got locked inside and had icicles dangling from her eyebrows. Anyhoo, what does this have to do with anything? Nothing. I just thought it was funny. I think the idea of a fish auction is funny.
Besides huge fish I've been thinking lately about my writing voice, or anyone's writing voice. It's a subject that gets bandied about a lot in writing circles. For me, voice is paramount. It's more important to me even than plot or character sometimes, with character running a close race. If a writer has a good voice I will continue reading just to hear it, to hear and see how he or she uses language, pays attention to the ebb and flow of sentences and vowels and consonants. When I read a book with a good voice I feel more connected with the author. Voice is the author's character, personality shining through. To me, voice sets authors apart and makes one writer transcend another. Tuna, on the other hand do not need a voice. You've seen one, you've seen them all, unless it weighs 500 pounds and then, well, who really cares anyway.
We often hear about a writer finding their voice. This of course implies that the voice was at one time or another lost. This is a misconception. A writer's voice, a true writer's voice is there. It simply needs to be uncovered. But how does that happen? Well come back tomorrow (I hope) and we'll begin a discussion on finding your voice, or excavating until you discover it. Until then, eat some Sushi and think about that poor tuna, now probably sliced, diced, rolled and consumed by a million Japanese folks. Sayonara.

2 comments:

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Yuck...I don't do raw anything...but I did have canned tuna for lunch :-)

Susan Skitt said...

Joyce, about the Sushi, I am a lunch mom for Joel's elementary lunch time on Mondays. Students include grades K, 1 & 2. A few weeks ago a little boy raised his hand at the K table. He held out a soy sauce packet. "I need help opening this." Curious, I peeked at the contents of his plastic lunch container wondering what in the world needed soy sauce. "Is that little chicken rolls," I said with a smile. "No. It's Sushi." You could have knocked me over with a feather. My 2nd grader is mac-n-cheese man all the way.

As for voice, Joyce, (hey that rhymes -hee, hee), your voice reads loud and clear. I am reading Agnes and it is YOU - the voice I mean, fun, a little quirky (in a nice, creative way) and full of imagination!

By the way, my husband has to know - Is Bright's Pond a real place in the Poconos? Please let me know.

(I'm up to page 248 where the Pearly Gates Singers have just arrived!)

Hugs,
Susan