What Kind of a Person?


would dress up in a fat suit for a friend?
Here's the thing, this past weekend I attended my annual writer's retreat with a group of the most awesome writers. We learned much from our mentor/guide/sherpa Nancy Rue. We talked about our lives and our hopes and dreams, about God and books and words and then Saturday night came and well, we got a little silly. My best guy buds, Dale and Tim dissappeared from the group. We knew they would, they always do to go off and plan some scathingly diabolical practical joke, usually perpetrated and froggish on the unsuspecting yet totally suspecting Nancy Rue. Well, the joke or the joy I should say was on me. They arrived back in the great room (and I do mean great) dressed in blow-up fat suits. (no ofense intended) They celebrated the wonderful Agnes Sparrow. I laughed, I cried and I even let others take my picture. Yikes.It was so wonderful to know that these guys think highly enough of me and our freindship to do this. If there is one awe-inspiriing thing I have learned from my publishing journey it is that novels are not written in a vaccuum. Writers create such lasting and true friendships because we so much need each other to help us through the times of rejection and dissappointment, uncertainty about our skills and talents. Our freindships often go beyond the buiness of writing and into our personal lives and we share and pray with each other in often profound ways. This group of fellow wanderers, fellow jokesters and fellow word lovers only meets once a year but it's as though we were never apart. The Crue is a family and I love them all. Gee, I wonder what Dale and Tim would have done if Agnes had been a giraffe. Well, see, they would have dressed up like a giraffe because and here's the thing, you do stuff for friends.

5 comments:

christa said...

What a scream! How wonderful to have friends who love you enough to be goofy!

Bonnie Calhoun said...

That is hysterical! I'm glad the bunch is so fun-loving! It looks like you had a great time!

Floss said...

Joyce, You've encapsulated my feelings for the Writeen Crue. I don't think I could ever have a better group of writing friends than you all. I'm blessed to be a part of it. Love you, girl!

Pam Halter said...

Amen, Floss! It was the best weekend ever. We are the most blessed writers in the world.

Denise Miller Holmes said...

I too, have a wonderful group of writer friends. We laugh, cry, and pray together. No one, so far, has put on a fat suit. But, if they did, I would think it hysterical. I am fat, and even I think that fat suits are funny. :D