O Christmas Tree


Here's the thing, I am apparently the best mom in the world. My son told me so just last night. And I want to go on record as saying that Adam is the best son in the world. He amazes me. But that's not really the point of this column. I actually thought it would be fun to invite you all into my home this Christmas and share in the festivities. We put our Christmas tree up the other day. Adam, he's eleven years old, chose the biggest, fattest tree on the lot and we hauled that sucker home and there she stands about four feet wide and nine feet tall. Okay, eight feet now, we had to cut some of the top off so it would fit in the living room. Adam LOVES Christmas--absolutely loves it. He would love it if I gave him lights and ornaments as gifts. I do. He would keep the house decorated all year long and wants to totally deck out the house in lights one year--kind of like Chevy Chase in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. He wants our house to be visible from space. Which I suppose stands to reason since as many of you already know, Adam is an electronics genius. The boy can pretty much wire anything and builds robots and toys that move and spin and light up and play music even. It's like he's one with electricity and understands it the way, well the way a genius would. He also constructs fountains with lights and running water. Not sure why, but that's okay. As you can see in the picture, the tree isn't completely decorated yet, especially at the top, but I'll get it finished as soon as I can locate the rest of my ornaments. I seem to be missing a box or two.
Yesterday I stuck a note on the tree before I left for work. It read, "Hi Adam, would you please put the lights on remote control? Love Mommy." Sure enough I came home from school yesterday and there he was sitting on the couch with an ear to ear grin holding a little snowman shaped remote. My clever boy has put all the lights, indoor and outdoor on a remote so all I have to do is push a button and they pop on—not only that but he fixed it so we can have them twinkle, chase or blink as well. I always hated bending down to plug in the tree everyday or rearrange plugs or whatever. Now I just have to push one button. What a good boy.
Right now his biggest wish is for me to buy him one of those giant inflatable snowmen. Yikes. They cost forty or fifty dollars. But I know he would just love it. So, here's the thing, should I do it? Should I buy him the snowman? After all I am the best mom in the world? Just not the richest.

4 comments:

Pam Halter said...

I say, buy the snowman!!

Jennifer Hudson Taylor said...

Buy it, after all, he fixed it so all you have to do is hit a button. BTW, Can I borrow him for a day or two? I still have to run all over my house, bend down and crawl under to turn on all the lights.

Barbara Scott said...

Gosh, Joyce, Adam's such a gifted child, I bet he could build Frosty out of some string, duct tape, and a little material...plus the electronics that would make that snowman dance across the yard. Wow! Your son may grow up to be an astronaut or become CEO of GE!

Debbie Viguie said...

Buy it and give it to him as an early Christmas present. One early present is tradition in my family. It helps keep us all sane.