National Raisin Bread Month is Here


Here's the thing, November is National Raisin Bread Month. Now I like rasin bread as much as the next fella but honestly, does rasin bread really need its own month. I mean what are we supposed to do to honor this. Eat rasin bread, I guess. But I got to thinking about it and had to wonder who was the first person to toss raisins into bread dough and what was going through her mind when she did it? Well, I did some research and discovered a few little known facts about rasiins. For one thing it takes four pounds of grapes to make one pound of raisins. Talk about useless information. And raisins were introduced to Europe by way of the Crusades. I can just hear that conversation.
"Honey, I'm home from a pillaging and killing."
"Oh, that's nice dear. How did it go?
"It went fine, darling, just fine. I killed many men and I got this little flesh wound--here, in my shoulder."
"Oh, dear, I am sorry. Did you bring me anything?"
"Oh, yes, yes I did. I brought you raisins."
Okay, let's think about this a moment. When did a Crusader have time to get raisins? I mean were there raisin stores? Nah, probably swiped them off a table somewhere.
"Raisins? What is raisins?"
"Dried grapes. Here look."
Our hero reaches into a pouch and pulls out a handful of raisins.
"Ewww, Dear husband. They look like . . . like rabbit dung."
"No, no, they're quite tasty. I got them from a Spainiard."
"Spoils of war, I woould imagine. Yum. They are good. I think I will add them to my bread dough."
And there you have it. The true story of how raisin bread was invented.
Just thought you'd like to keep Currant on these things.

1 comment:

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Oh ha...currant...good one! I agree...totally bizarre...I wonder what months we'll get next?