Just How Many Apples Do We Need?


I read an article this morning about Apples. It never occurred to me until now that there are people who spend their working hours developing new varieties of apples. My question is why? Just how many varieties of apples do we need? This new apple is called the SweeTango. I reckon it has something to do with it's sweet and tart flavor yet it apparently maintains the crispness of the Honeycrisp which is wildly popular. Who knew? The SweeTango was made by crossing the Honeycrisp with the Zestar! The exclamation point was there, whether that's the apple's name or they're just really excited about it, I don't know. But in any case this new Apple is supposed to be a hit, especially with school age children, they're hoping, because apparently our kids are not happy with the apples now being served in school cafeterias. Ahhhhh. And, the growers are thrilled because with the SweeTangos really swell taste--sweet and tart, they can charge more money for it. Um. The bad news is that the apple will not be available nationwide for a couple of years yet. So I'm sorry, but we'll just have to wait and see if it stands up to the hype. I know I'm excited. I mean really, how often do new apple varieties come along? More often than we know, I think. I wonder if it will be good in pie or make good sauce.
Funny, just the other day I was in the grocery store standing in front of the apple displays, staring at oh, I don't know, a hundred different varieties of apples! and I turned to my son and said, "You know, we need another apple variety. These are boring." He agreed. "Yeah, Mom. The apples at school suck." No, really.
According to the article:"We're fighting for that share of stomach," Byrne said, "and we firmly believe that we have to be able to provide a great eating experience so that when a kid is given a choice between a really good apple and something else snacky, that the apple will be the one they choose."
Right, put an apple up agaisnt a Twinkie or a Snickers and the kid will go for the apple every time. Ha!

You can read about the Sweet Tango here.
or if you want you can catch a video alla bout the birth of the SweeeTango here.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Why? That's a good question:) I would love the new apple breed- if breed is the right word? Good to be able to hear your words through your blog sis, Love, Laurie