Phantstic Phun at Philly


Last week I had the pleasure of attending The Greater Philadelphia Christian Writers Conference. My first since Agnes Sparrow was published. I taught a three-day intensive clinic for Not Yet Published Novelists or as I was calling it the NYPN Blues. We had a blast. But no writer's conference would be complete unless there were a few bumps along the road. Just as I arrived at the PBU Campus I realized I left my pillow, my quilt and my toothbrush at home. That's okay. I expected PBU to supply a pillow and a blanky. What I didn't expect was that the pillow would be PLASTIC! Honestly it was like one of the blow-up things they use to pack fine china. It was horrible. I tried to sleep on it that first night but every time I moved, it crinkled and woke me up! I mean we do sleep with our ear on the pillow! It did occur to me to stuff the pillowcase with towels but you see, we only got one towel. ONE towel. So I was on no sleep that first day feeling like every word I spoke came from some deep dark tunnel. But every so often God provides in very special ways and I was at lunch lamenting the fact that I missed my pillow when my dear friend Dale turns and says, "Pillow? You need a pillow. I have pillows in the trunk of my car." No kidding, Dale drove me down to the store to purchase a toothbrush and then opened his trunk, took out a fluffy, soft, non plastic quiet pillow and gave it to me. I slept much better that night, my teeth much cleaner and my breath much mintyer.

Writers conferences are the happiest places on earth. Settle down Disney World. You're fun, but hanging with a bunch of writers and editors and agents is better than Space Mountain. I reunited with my dear friend Kathy Mackel, met Sue Brower from Zondervan. We had good talks about publishing and marketing and stuff. I got to know David Pierce, and Sandra Bishop and many other folks who helped make the three-day event special.

This conference was one of the best. And I made some new friends and fans. Thank you everyone who purchased Agnes and gave me the privilege to sign your copies. You are all the best.

It feels great to be on the other side of the Publishing mountain. The view is fantastic.

6 comments:

~ Brandilyn Collins said...

Joyce, I'm glad you enjoyed the Philly conference. And how nice you were able to meet Sue from Z. She's a great gal.

Wanted to let you know my post about your novel goes up on Forensics and Faith tomorrow, Monday Aug. 10. Blessings on your sales! I see already there are only 2 copies remaining at Amazon. :]

~ Brandilyn
www.forensicsandfaith.blogspot.com

Joyce said...

Wow, I feel so honored Brandilyn. Thank you for stopping by. Thank you for supporting Agnes and all the Abingdon authors.

Rita Gerlach said...

Joyce,

Thanks for sharing about the Philly conference. I plan to go next year. It's so close to Maryland that I can drive up there. Thanks for giving us an advanced alert on the pillow situation. I'll be sure to pack one!

Rita

Pam Halter said...

The conference was great, but, like you, I enjoyed meeting so many great writers and editors and agents! What a cool faculty we had this year.

Can't wait to see what God does with everything!!

Judy Christie said...

Sounds like a great event -- and how fun to be celebrating Agnes! Have a great week!

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Excuse me young lady! You left out the best part! :-)

YOU SOLD ALL THE BOOKS YOU BROUGHT WITH YOU!!!!!!!

*sigh* I can say I knew you when!