Tooting my Own Horn


The Prayers of Agnes Sparrow officially, wonderfully, most excellently releases tomorrow! Gee I hope she doesn't crush the shelves. Anyhoo, I am about as tickled as I can be that this is actually happening. I have been fantasizing for a week now (okay years) about walking into a bookstore and seeing my book on the shelves or perhaps on the front tables. Um, check out Barnes and Noble and see what I mean.

My path to publishing has been an interesting one full of the ups and downs and twists and turns that pretty much all authors experience, so I'm not going to bore you with those gory details. Instead I want to say that I have the best job in the world. Even with all the disappointments and trials I cannot think of any other career that brings as much joy, allows me to work in cut off sweat pants, eat rice pudding at my desk, spill coffee on documents, be late to work, early to work, experience more magical moments, discover the absolute best friends in the entire world, keep a thoroughly messy writing table strewn with docs and books and yellow legal pads and gifts from my children and friends and still not be able to find a pencil when I need one. It's a job that allows me to take time to be with my children, play games with them, get interrupted every ten minutes, solve notorious and horrible crimes, listen to the voices in my head without a visit from the men in white coats with nets, spend untold frivolous and silly hours on social networking sites, check my email every seven nano seconds, have satellite offices in Starbucks, Panera, Barnes and Noble, the library, my car, write books off as a tax deduction, dedicate the finished project to my big sister, work with editors and publicity and money people who make me laugh and cry, who pray for me and worry about me and love me for who I am and understand that being a writer is not a one dimensional profession but mutli-faceted like a diamond and that sometimes frustration and tears are just part of the process an send me cards that say congratulations and cheer me on in spite of my artistic self.

Phew, I'm sure there's more perks to the job but I think you get my point. There truly is nothing else I would rather do.

So to all the people who made this day possible: thank you from the soles of my feet to the tip of my head. I love you all!

6 comments:

Judy Christie said...

You eat rice pudding for a snack? That must be a northern thang ...

Joyce said...

yes indeedy. must be a northern thang, probably from my pennsylvania dutch heritage.

Rita Gerlach said...

I know what you are feeling, Joyce. Surrender the Wind will be official released alongside Agnes. We have so much to be thankful for!

Barbara Scott said...

I can't wait to walk in the bookstores and see the labor of your hearts on the shelves. Congratulations!

Jeanne Damoff said...

I'm so happy and excited for you! :)

Hey, I know it's after the fact, but do you still want/need a picture of a red couch? I saw a cool, antique one on vacation in Ohio, thought of you, and took several shots. Let me know if you want them.

Love, Jeanne

Pam Halter said...

You can't imagine how totally thrilled I am for you!! I've read Agnes from the very first sentence and loved it then ... love it now!! Lots of blessings will come from this. I think God's already using it.