The Perimenopausal Writer

Getting older stinks like old, fermenting cabbage. But I am trying to take it with a certain amount of humor. Perimenopause makes that possible. I have more symptoms than bayer has aspirin. But the most annoying symptom I discovered is loss of memory. OMgosh I cannot remember a blooming thing and I have resorted to writing down pretty much everything. My keys have become a great source of anxiety.  My office area (it's just a table in the corner of my bedroom) is slathered with post-it notes, scribbles on legal pads, my date book--anything and everything that I can scratch a note on. The trouble is, it's not very organized and I often forget which note is which and in what order should tasks be accomplished. For a writer this can be very bad, particularly one with bad handwriting like me. Because now that I am a real author with a real book launching in just a few months, I've come to see that organization is key. I have never been busier in my life--even when the kids were little and I was chasing them from one end of the house to the other while juggling pots and pans and sterilized bottles, folding laundry and cooking I managed to keep things in my brain. Now my brain is pretty much a spaghetti strainer and thoughts fall out constantly and and I can't find them. This is particularly annoying when a great line of dialog or plot idea bounces into my brain--usually while I'm away from my desk. I discovered I can record memos on my Blackberry but I haven't done it yet--I don't like the sound of my voice. I know, so what. But I'm pretty sure I'll forget what I was going to say anyway. Fortunately when I am actually in the zone and writing well it's like a whole other person takes over and I can write--at least for a while. The good news is--well there was good news about perimenopause and writing but I forget.

1 comment:

Pam Halter said...

I am right with you, girlfriend! I forget words, phrases, names, why I walked into the kitchen and items from the grocery store if I don't have a list.

I like the new look of your blog!